PentaxWorld - the World of Pentax Users!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Bug in K-1 firmware...

December 19, 2016, 03:13:26 AM
Read 2882 times

Offline tcom

• Administrator

Bug in K-1 firmware...
« on: December 19, 2016, 03:13:26 AM »
Hi

Have you ever experienced that your K-1 suddenly locks, not reacting to any button, not even to the shutter, for something like 10 - 20 seconds?

I had that experience on the very first evening I had the K-1 while shooting an event, back on May 6th. Back then, I experienced that lockup a few times, but was unable to reproduce it. I noticed Ricoh Imaging asking if it was a known issue of firmware 1.0, but no, the issue was unknown. Over the coming weeks, I tried to use the K-1 as much as possible covering events with it and encountered the issue quite a few times until I was able to nail down the problem and reproduce it.

When working for the press, I usually have tight schedule and learned to use even the shortest breaks to review and sort the photos (ie. deleting bad ones) as a deleted photo takes no transfer time to the computer, no time to get imported and I don't even have to take valuable time on Lightroom to review a bad photo. I have to admit that I am using this workflow whenever I take photos, not only when working on a tight schedule. Typically, when taking portraits in the streets, I take a few photos, check the photos, delete the bad ones and re-take the photos if needed.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the issue with the K-1. When you delete a photo while there is still data to be written to the memory card, the camera locks until all data is written on the card.

I am not necessarily expecting a camera to be able to write and delete photos at the same time. But my expectations toward a modern DSLR is whenever I press the shutter, the photo is taken. If the K-1 is unable to delete a photo when there is still data in the buffer without locking up, why can't the camera simply prevent the user from deleting photos in such a case? I won't be able to delete a photo, but then, it would prevent me from locking the camera...

I reported the whole issue to Ricoh Imaging back in May with a procedure to reproduce it. The issue was successfully reproduced by Ricoh Imaging, but despite four firmware updates, the issue is still present.

Believe me, the K-1 would be enough for most of the events I am covering for the press and I would really prefer using the K-1 instead of the much heavier Nikon gear like the D810 or D5. I would even take a second K-1. But for the time being, the K-1 stays at home most of the time. I am at a point where I ask myself if I should keep the K-1 just to check if an upcoming firmware update fixes the problem or give up and sell the K-1 as long as it still has a good value on the market.

Ricoh Imaging mentions I am the only one reporting the issue...

Am I really the only one?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 03:26:53 AM by tcom »

December 19, 2016, 03:25:58 AM
Reply #1

blackcloudbrew

Re: Bug in K-1 firmware...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 03:25:58 AM »
Don't have a K-1 (yet) nor have I been following any threads on it.

December 19, 2016, 03:35:30 AM
Reply #2

Offline tcom

• Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 03:35:30 AM »
I have been monitoring quite a few internet forums, but it really seems I am the only one with this issue (or at least the only one able to reproduce it).

December 19, 2016, 07:02:47 AM
Reply #3

Offline lensoreat

• Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 07:02:47 AM »
" learned to use even the shortest breaks to review and sort the photos (ie. deleting bad ones) as a deleted photo takes no transfer time to the computer, no time to get imported and I don't even have to take valuable time on Lightroom to review a bad photo. I have to admit that I am using this workflow whenever I take photos, not only when working on a tight schedule. Typically, when taking portraits in the streets, I take a few photos, check the photos, delete the bad ones and re-take the photos if needed.

Unfortunately, this is exactly the issue with the K-1. When you delete a photo while there is still data to be written to the memory card, the camera locks until all data is written on the card. "

----------

knowing how you use the best stuff ,  dominique ---i'm sure you are using the fastest memory cards available  ?   
also -  are there not two memory card slots ?   could you switch the camera to somehow use the  other card  ---  using from one to the other as you delete on one card and write new photos to the other ?   

you may be the only one ,  because you are the only one out there smart enough  to  use this procedure  to speed up the work flow (  though i assume the nikons do this same routine like super real easy ). 

December 20, 2016, 01:02:07 AM
Reply #4

Offline tcom

• Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:02:07 AM »
When you work on tight schedules quite often, you start to optimize the workflow whereever you can. Using even the shortest breaks in a show or event to delete bad photos is one of the best techniques I have found to gain valuable time in post processing. A deleted photo takes no time to get imported into Lightroom. It works really well.

The problem is, once you get used to such an optimized workflow, you apply it whenever taking photos, and I end up locking the K-1 way too often.

Dave, when the camera is locked up, it is locked up. It displays delete... on the back lcd and does not react to any button or user interaction, there really is no way to switch card. The whole camera is useless.

I am not expecting from Ricoh to allow writing and deleting photos at the very same time. But the camera should prevent the photographer to come to a situation where the camera gets locked. Simply greying out the delete function on the menu while there is still data to be written in the buffer would already solve the issue.

December 20, 2016, 07:33:56 AM
Reply #5

Offline lensoreat

• Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 07:33:56 AM »
i think if ricoh wants their cameras used by professionals such as yourself,  they should make every effort to address the issue(s) you raise,  fix it if they can,   or at least explain to you why they can't.   
it would make good business sense.
but,  there is not ,  that i know of,  any k-1 images at all yet in the pentax gallery,  after all these months it being out--  so they really don't seem to be ' with- it '  do they ?     
maybe they'll start marketing cellphones soon.       

December 21, 2016, 04:40:24 AM
Reply #6

Offline tcom

• Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 04:40:24 AM »
There might as well be hardware limitation preventing the camera from being able to write and delete at the same time.

However, I don't think it needs a lot to prevent the user from deleting photos while there is still data in the buffer to be written. That should most probably be a pretty easy change.

The most annoying thing is that I reported the problem back in May and there have been four firmware updates since then without addressing the problem. As it seems, I am the only one complaining, so, while Ricoh understand they need to fix it, they probably have more urgent tasks. It is upto Ricoh, if they want me to cover a lot of events with a Pentax K-1 and possibly gain visibility, they could at least make the change avoiding me to lock the camera, or they don't care at all and I continue to cover events with my Nikon gear.

December 21, 2016, 11:40:36 AM
Reply #7

Offline lensoreat

• Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »
you just said it all ,  dominique :   "  they don't care at all and I continue to cover events with my Nikon gear. "

SELL IT .   

December 21, 2016, 11:42:23 AM
Reply #8

Offline lensoreat

• Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »
MERRY CHRISTMAS.     BUY THE NEW HASSELBLAD MEDIUM FORMAT LITTLE CAMERA .     

December 21, 2016, 03:18:41 PM
Reply #9

Offline tcom

• Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
Selling the K-1 is really a question I am thinking about since a few weeks... The main problem are the great lenses like the three limiteds (31,43,77) and the possibility Ricoh might eventually solve the issue.

At the moment, I am thinking about first selling just the K-1 and keep the lenses, hoping Ricoh solves the issue within the next half year or waiting the successor of the K-1.

Anyway, I am not interested in the Hasselblad. I tried it out at the Photokina in September and was not really overwehlmed. At Photokina however, I had the chance to get a first hands on experience with the upcoming Fuji GFX mirrorless medium format... Even early stage development state of the camera looked pretty impressive, surprisingly fast in operation (for a medium format), quiet shutter (for a medium format) and smaller and lighter than my D810... I guess next year I might even sell the 645z...

Merrc Christmas, Dave!