PentaxWorld - the World of Pentax Users!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Q shutting down problem and fix

June 08, 2015, 11:05:57 PM
Read 3641 times

blackcloudbrew

Q shutting down problem and fix
« on: June 08, 2015, 11:05:57 PM »
I had a scare this weekend with my original Q. It decided to freeze up and then shut itself off about about 20-30 seconds following start up. I first thought I might need a fresh battery but that didn't change the situation. Did some searching on the internet and found that this has happened to others. As my Q is now about 4 years old, I was concerned that it might have given up the ghost but the suggestions from other users who had this problem suggested either bad contacts on the SD card, bad battery charger, dirty contacts on the lens or body, or either of the battery or SD doors were miss aligned. None of those seemed to either be the problem or to work fixing the problem.

I then took one good suggestion which was to remove the battery for long enough time (more than 3 hours or so), which when reinserted, forced a system reset. However, this was only part of the cure as the problem still remained. I then changed SD cards and bingo, that cured it. Putting the old SD card back in caused the problem to reoccur. I then formatted the same SD card which had caused the trouble on another body and reinstalled it in the Q and now...it's all good. Odd problem but glad I was able to fix it.

Quite honestly, both my Q and Q7 have been remarkably free of problems, although the Q7 is in the shop getting it's SD reader fixed. This was caused by a deteriorating EyeFi card.

Regardless, it's always good to fix something like this yourself.

June 09, 2015, 03:59:00 AM
Reply #1

Offline Pacerr

• Administrator

Re: Q shutting down problem and fix
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 03:59:00 AM »
Bravo Zulu.  Always good to find your own fixes.

Did ya pass this along to the Q Forum over on the PF site? I recall seeing something like that about SD cards there.
H2  -  I'm not gettin' any smarter in my old age -- I'm just finally beginnin' to run out of really stupid things to do. Doesn't mean I'm not tryin' though.

No trees were killed or injured in the sending of this email, but billions of electrons were really, really agitated.

June 09, 2015, 05:23:54 AM
Reply #2

blackcloudbrew

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:23:54 AM »
Bravo Zulu.  Always good to find your own fixes.

Did ya pass this along to the Q Forum over on the PF site? I recall seeing something like that about SD cards there.

Actually, I researched the fix over there on PF. There were a number of similar posts on the subject. I did write about it elsewhere on the site though. This was a little daunting as, it was one of those, it could be this or that or... things. However, it clearly was related to the SD card (and 8gb Sandisk card) and apparently related to the need to reformat that card. As a point of info, the firmware on my Q is up to date. That was another one of those - it could be this - solutions. I think this is a rare problem (he say now with the fix one day in the past). I'll clearly shout out if it happens again.

June 09, 2015, 05:55:08 AM
Reply #3

Offline Pacerr

• Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:55:08 AM »
I'm curious as to whether you tried another SD card during that episode.

That's always been my second response after a "battery swap reboot" didn't work.

[ I also go to the trouble of naming the SD card drives, like Butch or Vicky, etc. Strokes their l'il egos and keeps 'em happy. Who'd of guessed.  ::)  ]
H2  -  I'm not gettin' any smarter in my old age -- I'm just finally beginnin' to run out of really stupid things to do. Doesn't mean I'm not tryin' though.

No trees were killed or injured in the sending of this email, but billions of electrons were really, really agitated.

June 09, 2015, 07:06:59 AM
Reply #4

blackcloudbrew

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:06:59 AM »
Changing SD cards after the reboot was what return function to the Q.